I’m a guy in his early 20’s who consumes way too much Anime and loves to write about his thoughts on the medium and analyse it to ridiculous lengths. I’m also really sleepy all the time and I reflect this often in my writing *yawn*
Before starting up Lethargic Ramblings, I used to be a very active and fairly well known Anime Reviewer on the websites MyAnimeList and Anime-Planet. But as time went by, I began to become dissatisfied with the restrictive nature of reviews. I wanted to do more than just give things a score and follow a rigid guideline put in place by a scoring system I was never keen on. I wanted to expand my horizons and create more diverse content than simple reviews. I wanted to do actual analysis and talk about broader topics with an audience who were willing to listen and who I could encourage to do the same.
I was also a fairly controversial figure in my early reviewing days and had developed a persona that no longer reflects who I am today. I was a pretty forward and nasty person with a distasteful and elitist attitude. It was a stigma I was never able to shake off, and I wanted to start fresh, with a clean slate, to write content that reflects the opinions I have now and the person I am today.
And thus, after a long period away from writing Anime content online I started up Lethargic Ramblings because I was bored one weekend. I made it so I could have my own little corner of the internet where I can express myself in ways I never could before. It’s a place where I can make the content I want to make with no restrictions. And it’s turned out far better than I could ever have hoped.
I hope you enjoy reading my posts as much as I do writing them. Thank you for supporting my blog.
I run several different series which I update as much as possible.
- Lethargic Rambles – My most in depth content, focusing on a broad variety of subjects relating to Anime and its community. From in depth analysis of particular shows and aspects to opinion based pieces about the medium, to rants about all things Anime, this series aims to cover as many different things as possible and mostly tries to be an analytical series.
- Monthly Manga – A monthly series where I summarise my experience with a Manga that I intend to read each month.
- The Listless List – A list article series where I post top lists relating to different Anime and Manga related things. The content of these lists will be just about anything I can think of that relates to Anime. In some cases there will also be Special Editions where I will feature a guest writer or some other quirk.
- First Impressions – A series that focuses on my first impressions of a series after watching its initial episode. This will mostly cover new Anime that airs at the start of the current season, but may sometimes cover my impressions of older titles as well. I’ll also sometimes do the odd video game as well.
- Superior Source – A series where I look at Anime adaptations that just didn’t hold up when compared to their original Manga. I analyse what went wrong and what could have been done to improve these adaptations as well as why the original was better.
- Readers Recommendation – A series where I ask my readers to vote which show I should watch next based on a few I’ve picked out. Afterwards, I write a post summarsing my thoughts on it and the experience I had while watching it.
- Let’s Talk About – A series where I discuss a particular area of a show such as a specific scene, episode, etc.
- 30 Day Anime Challenge – A series of Challenges across 30 days where I answer various Anime related questions. I only write these when I feel like it. I promise I’ll finish this one day.
- Scenes I Didn’t Sleep Through – A series focusing on specific scenes from different Anime series that I found exciting or emotively engaging and looking at what they did well to provide such a reaction.
- My Anime Journey – This series will focus on my journey as an Anime fan and the various stages throughout my life that facilitated my growth into the rabid consumer of the medium I am today.
About my content:
All of my content is based primarily on my own subjective opinions and personal preferences. I do not approach things objectively because it simply isn’t possible to do so. As such, much of what I say will be reflective of my own feelings and beliefs.
I hope you all enjoy my content. All feedback and criticism is greatly appreciated and discussion in the comments is heavily encouraged. I like to discuss my opinions and thoughts with others. Don’t be mean though. Negativity is tiresome.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Why is the blog called “Lethargic Ramblings?
A: I suffer from a serious case of lethargy, meaning I am always sleepy. You could say I have a very acute, undiagnosed, self-proclaimed case of chronic fatigue syndrome. I’ve been known to fall asleep in the most ridiculous situations such as during dinner, while actively playing video games and during instances of casual conversation. I also love to ramble about things a lot. Put these together, and you have “Lethargic Ramblings”!
Q: How long have you been watching Anime?
A: I first began watching Anime when I was a kid in the 90’s through shows like Dragon Ball Z and Yu-Gi-Oh! which aired on TV back then. However, back then, I didn’t know that Anime was Anime. So really, I’ve been actively watching and collecting Anime since 2005 and have been addicted ever since.
Q: What’s your all-time favourite Anime?
A: My favourite Anime is Hunter x Hunter (2011) and it has been since 2014.
Q: What is your favourite genre of Anime?
A: I don’t particularly have a favourite genre, but I tend to favour battle shows with high stakes and giant arcs with tons of conflict and thematic elements. I love my shows to be character driven, with a ton of raw emotion and plot twists. But generally, I’m willing to give everything a shot.
Q: What is your least favourite genre of Anime?
A: While I do try to keep an open mind, I’m not a big fan of Moe type shows. Cute girls doing cute things is boring, over-cutified and just plain nauseating to watch. It’s never really been for me, and I’ve never understood the appeal of these types of shows.
Q: Do you collect Anime?
A: Yes I do. In my teenage years I used to go mad with money and spend a fortune on DVD’s, Manga, figures and everything else Anime and Manga related. I have about 4 shelves worth of DVD’s and a collection of around 30 figures. My spare room is essentially a shrine to my inner Anime fan. Unfortunately, I don’t get to add to my collection much these days, as I now have bills to pay and savings to add to. But the sacrifice is worth it!
Q: Do you read Manga?
A: I read Manga very sparingly, since I always prefer Anime over it. I prefer the synthesis of elements that Anime provides through music, sound, colour and movement to just static images with words and panel flow. Most Manga that I read is stuff that hasn’t been adapted into Anime. I do however have a very small Manga collection, which is made up of my favourite Manga series.
Q: What are your favourite hobbies besides Anime?
A: I love hanging out with my girlfriend, playing video games and sleeping. I also really enjoy eating out at restaurants and going shopping with my girlfriend. Especially in the Winter when it’s really cold.
Q: You mentioned above that you used to have a MyAnimeList account, can I take a look?
A: No. I’ve left the account intact solely as a trove of memories and to remind myself of my evolution as a writer. I’m not comfortable sharing my old persona with people. However, I do have a new MyAnimeList account which I’ve began using under my new persona. It’s not completely updated and it’s missing about 200 shows or so, but feel free to take a look if you’re curious about my scores for a specific show: https://myanimelist.net/animelist/AlwaysLethargic
Q: Do you have Skype or anything else I can contact you on?
A: I do have Skype, but I rarely use it. If you want it, feel free to ask me for it. I also have a Twitter: @AlwaysLethargic. Feel free to follow me, I post quite frequently throughout the day.
Q: Where are you from?
A: I’m from Scotland, specifically the city of Glasgow. I have a really annoying accent and nobody here can speak properly (including myself).
Q: What’s your real name?
A: I’m purposely keeping this blog anonymous, but feel free to call me whatever you want. “Lethargic” or “Leth” will do for simplicity’s sake. You could also be really bold and call me “Lethargic Ramblings”.
Q: Have you ever considered starting a YouTube channel?
A: Yes, I have. I’ve even tried to once. However, I got a lot of negative feedback, so I gave up on that. I’m doubtful I’ll try again.
Q: Can I publish X post on my website?
A: I’m not interested in having my stuff on anyone else’s website as this blog was made to be my own personal space that belongs specifically to me and my content. You can share my content as much as you like, but don’t publish it without my consent.
Q: Can I recommend X show to you?
A: Fire away. I’m always up for recommendations!
Q: You mentioned before you had a girlfriend. How long have you been together?
A: We’ve been together since 18/07/09 and have been madly in love since. She’s amazing and I love her to bits ❤
Q: What kind of music do you like?
A: I try to keep an open mind to anything, but I generally lean towards rock and metal music. Some of my favourite groups include: Coheed and Cambria, Starset, My Darkest Days, The Mars Volta, Boom Boom Satellites and Insane Clown Posse. No. That last one is not a joke.
Got any more questions that weren’t listed here? Feel free to ask and I’ll answer the best I can.